Thursday, December 13, 2007

Happy Holidays

Let me echo Canada's well-wishes to everyone for a healthy holiday season! Winter has struck the Midwest as well, and I certainly am beginning to miss waking up to sunshine and 85 degrees. I even miss Nick yelling "DORSIFLEX! DORSIFLEX!"

I want to share a quick marketing tool with you: I started my version of a 'Core Performance' Class at the corporate fitness center a while back, and tweaked it with some of the API stuff to kick it up a bit. All multi-joint, full-body motions combining strength & stability...people love to hate the class! I have participant who has lost 30 pounds to date! I sent her a couple of questions about her experience, and then used her answers as a success story - and the front page of my monthly newsletter. (Don't think that that didn't get some people's attention during the holidays!) This is a great way to use your success stories - send the client some leading questions, and use the responses for marketing - here's what mine looked like:

Success Story In Progress: Sandy O. - Baxter International

What initially inspired you to hire a personal trainer?

I am one of those people who couldn't get down to the office fitness center if I didn't have an appointment or a paid class to attend. My college daughter was the one who told me I should put exercising on my calendar, so I did. (Then she convinced me to pay for her to use a personal trainer on campus!) Several of my colleagues recommended Andrew to me.

What were your goals when you started?

I wanted to be fitter so I wasn't out of breath every time I walked up a flight of stairs. I wanted to lose weight and I wanted to have more energy to get through each day. I also had back problems, so I wanted to strengthen my core muscles.

What has been the biggest change you had to make?

Two things changed: First, I had to decide I wanted to be healthier. I recognized that, if I didn't change something, I would continue to put on weight, my back would hurt and I wouldn't feel good. I had to change the way I thought about my health and well being and make it a bigger priority. Once I did, it was easier to get into the habit of exercising several times a week. Second, I started eating about every 3 hours, so I eat more often than I used to.

What have your results been so far?

With only the personal training, I was seeing some limited results in that I was fitter, but not losing weight. When I added in regular conditioning classes and a nutritional weight management program, I saw dramatically better results. I lost weight, my energy level was better, and my back felt good. There are other tangible results too. I can look at the difference in the amount of weight I can lift now or the number of push-ups I can do versus what I did when I first started working out.

Now that you've achieved these results, what are your next goals?

I haven't hit my optimal weight, so I want to continue losing a few more pounds (or at least stay level during the holidays!) and I want to be able to hold a plank for 40 seconds. I think the benefit of having a trainer was that as I got better at a particular exercise, Andrew could modify it to keep it challenging. There's always something new to try and achieve and it is very rewarding to see the progress.

I am happy to share this success story with you! Sandy O. started training with me in April of this year, with a 12-month goal of losing 25 pounds. I am happy to report that, having combined individual training, group training classes, and a supportive nutrition program, she has already achieved her goal, and she’s not done yet! Please congratulate her on her great accomplishments! -- Andrew

Choose questions that lead your client to provide information that would be relevant and motivating to others. I wanted people to know that others were referring me, that she had hit her goals, and what changes she'd needed to make in order to succeed, so I chose questions that led her to provide that information. Better still, she's become a bit of a celebrity at work, and the new attention she's getting helps her to talk about - what else? - working with me! Free marketing!

If you have any tips or ideas that have been successful at improving your business? Share them! This is our forum - keep using it!

Happy Holidays to you all -

Andrew, aka 'The Professor'

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hey everyone... Any thoughts on periodization philosophies for power sports... specifically football? Anyone done or used any conjugate methods? Undulating vs. linear...? So far I've had great success using a sort of quasi undulating/linear design. I don't completely change reps every week, although I do maximal or close to maximal efforts on different exercises each week. I like to keep the intensity high all during our off-season. I still stick to the traditional linear phases of hypertrophy, strength...etc

As I come towards the end of my second year of coaching I'm really still solidifying my philosophies and still finding what works best for my teams and our training. But any advice you all might have would be greatly appreciated.

One more question... recovery was a big thing that we talked about while at AP. I came away realizing that I never really thought enough about it when planing my training cycles. Since coming back to my teams, implementing recovery weeks has been somewhat difficult. I'm working with young athletes that want to push hard all the time. What I'm looking for are some good ways that I can satisfy their desire to train hard, while still maintaining my goals of giving their bodies some time to adjust.

I hope everyone is doing really well!!!!!!!!

Stay Strong
E