Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Emmanuel wrote

Definitely true, lifts like the bench press get way too much attention. Any football player and 90% of men that train want to have a big bench, that is pretty much a fact, hell I do to. Part of my goals are to move my athletes attention away from the non-functional movements into the functional and power lifting movements like the clean and snatch. These lifts definitely incorporate flexibility, mobility, and power. As a team we do plenty of mobility work, I use Gray Cook's and Verstegen's modalities all the time as part of our prehab or warm up routines. We get plenty of single leg squats, Mike Boyle would be happy. Making teams of better athletes is definitely possible. We are all athletes baby, twisted steel, hard as concrete, spitting bullets!!!

However, am I understanding that you don't do any type of periodization for power for your clients that are athletes? Do you do corrective movement skills until they are mastered? Or do you switch periodization models for each client. I definitely plan for my clients differently than I do for my athletes. I'm wondering about schemes for volume and intensity, and any good recovery work you do... I think I saw a pretty brutal circuit you did some time back on YouTube, looked good.

One more question, if you could go to IHP or API who would you go to? why?

No comments: