Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Thoughts on training athletes 2

I do incorporate a level of periodization with my trainees. However, we do spend a good amount of time on corrective/core training, since most athletes have spent their lives training to look like bodybuilders. Once they have achieved a level of ability that allows them to train with additional load and velocity, I work that in. Power training, like core training, is a modality I start with bodyweight. XBT, my nickname for explosive bodyweight training, introduces a combination of plyometrics and velocity using counter- and non-countermovement activities. After there is a level of adaptation and ability in these areas, particularly in power generation and deceleration, I'll add a component of the core lifts, primarily squats, deadlifts, and RDLs.

My basic issue with traditional methods is this: 'sport-specific training' has long focused on three things: how much, how fast, and how high. My philosophy is to always assess 'how well?' How well can an athlete balance, accelerate, decelerate, change direction, and create and absorb force? Freeweights are a great tool but are limited, because they can only reinforce components of a full athletic motion. For this reason, I rarely commit long periods of time to freeweight training. I'd prefer to use an 84-pound weight vest on a power athlete and take him through motions that his sport requires.

As for choosing between API and IHP... that's tough, since I've been to one and not the other. (Personally, I'd choose IHP because JC interviewed me to run the place a few years back, but I never had the chance to see it.) However, if I had to recommend one or the other to another coach/trainer, it would depend on a couple of things; mostly on what the role of the coach/trainer is. As a coach, I'd probably recommend API, because it more closely simulates what I think a complete training program should be, incorporating nutrition, prehab, and both traditional and non-traditional training methods. As a trainer/performance coach, I'd probably elect to spend a week with JC and a week with Mike Boyle. I'm always more inclined to visit someone whose style is the most different from mine.

Anyone else want to chime in??

Andrew

1 comment:

Emmanuel said...

Nice information. I like XBT, I might need to borrow that! Weighted vests are something that I would definitely like to add to my repertoire of tools and techniques. Right now part of my training for my volleyball players I’ve been using a lot of band work… using seatbelts and anchoring them down as they go through a variety of movements, mostly a lot of JC protocols. Speaking of XBT, JC’s “leg blasters” are great; Body weight squat (20), Lunges (40), Lunge Jumps (20), Squat Jumps (20).
For the counter and non-counter movements, are there any that you use that aren’t part of the AP protocols? Any good suggestions or favorite ones that you use?
My men’s tennis players also did a ton of JC protocols. Mostly because they couldn’t remember the tech. for a front squat. That’s how it goes sometimes; some groups of athletes are more committed to training than others. At the end of the day I still kicked their butts and they are definitely better conditioned athletes for it. My preference is still with the Olympic lifts though. I definitely see what you’re saying about most athletes training to be body builders or power lifters without regard for athleticism…etc Focused more on big numbers or physique than applicable movements and skills. I have one student who can bench press 450 and Legit Squat 6 bills! But he can’t move anywhere as well as the student who hang cleans 345! Needless to say I like the power lifts. I prefer the really explosive and powerful student. His success in the powelifts is directly proportional to the success of the skills that he applies on the football field.
I am convinced that if an athlete can master power movements, cleans and snatchs, in addition to change of direction work that is an ideal situation. I remember speaking with a strength coach who told me that I should always remember one thing “The only way to get strong is to move weight!” I definitely believe in this and see the integration of movement skills and pattern training with powerlifting as the best thing I can do. Like you said Andrew; always looking to see how someone else train. I definitely like that idea. Any other coach that I’ve ever spoken to as given me a piece of information that I have eventually applied.